Instabus is a realtime map of Austin’s public transit. It works well on mobile and desktop.
Works on your desktop, your iPhone, and your Android device. Just go to instabus.org
What happened to MetroRappid?
MetroRappid has been renamed to Instabus.
MetroRappid for iOS has been replaced with Instabus.
MetroRappid for Android (winner of ATX Hack For Change) had problems working with the Google Maps API. We’ve chosen to move in the direction of open data, and now instead use OpenStreetMaps. This webapp replaces MetroRappid for Android.
Why is the vehicle location out of date?
CapMetro only updates the vehicle location every 30-90 seconds. You should encourage them to provide more accurate realtime data.
We really need help making this app awesome. We use GitHub issues to track bugs, features, and ideas. Issues that we think are important/can use help are tagged as
help wanted. You can filter by the
help wanted tag: https://github.com/luqmaan/Instabus/issues?labels=help+wanted&state=open.
The code in this repo is too messy. Instabus needs to be rewritten from scratch. It also needs to be rewritten to work for other cities. We can do this by supporting the OneBusAway REST API or Transitime. Unfortunately, Austin doesn’t have a OneBusAway instance. So, we’re slowly taking the necessary steps to run our own OneBusAway instance. See luqmaan/Instabus#210.
We need help getting OneBusAway/Transitime running. If you have experience with Java come help. Join the #instabus or #transitime channel on the Open Austin Slack.
If you’re interested in rewriting the Instabus webapp, contact on Slack. One attempt at rewriting Instabus has been started: https://github.com/luqmaan/instabus-react. But it is nowhere near complete.
In the meantime, pull requests for bugs and UI changes to this repo are welcome.
Clone the repo and checkout the
git clone email@example.com:luqmaan/Instabus.git cd Instabus git checkout -b dev origin/dev
Serve the directory with gulp:
gulp clean gulp build gulp deploy
Instabus has gone through many iterations and has had many contributors. Some get credit in the Contributors graph, and some don’t.
- https://github.com/luqmaan – :hankey:
- https://github.com/drmaples – :rooster: The inspiration behind making Instabus a webapp instead of a native app. Wrote 50% of the Instabus webapp with @luqmaan early in the morning before work.
- https://github.com/scascketta – The name Instabus, the Go proxy, many bugfixes, sanity, plenty of testing, beans, and much more.
- https://github.com/walkeriniraq – So much help with Transitime and figuring out Java
- https://github.com/paulserraino – Map usability and CSS minification
- https://github.com/ECatx – Accessibility contributions
- https://github.com/jpmensching – :star2: Added favorites
- https://github.com/sethgho – Created MetroRappid for Android, MetroRappid for iOS contributions
- https://github.com/johntyree – MetroRappid for Android contributions, help with arrival time prediction algorithms , and much more
- https://github.com/fleeting – Default map location and README contributions
- https://github.com/Caskman – MetroRappid for Android contributions, beans, Android theme color
GNU General Public License Version 3